What is Powertex?
Powertex Universal Medium is used in mixed media projects of all kinds from garden fairy houses and figure sculptures to paintings and jewellery. But what exactly is it? Here are 10 things about Powertex to help answer that:
10 things about Powertex
- Powertex is water-based
- and non toxic
- and also environmentally
- It’s a Universal Medium that can sculpt fabric
- It’s a liquid that can be used to harden natural fibres, textiles, paper, card, leather and cork
- Combined with Powertex Stone Art powder it makes an air drying clay
- It comes in a variety of mixable colours including Transparent
- It’s also a powerful adhesive for use with sand, plaster, wood and metal in your art and craft projects
- It’s the perfect medium to upcycle old materials into sculpture, wall art, jewellery and more
- Powertex is weatherproof for creating garden sculptures, signs and ornaments
I know, it’s a lot to take in. Is there anything it doesn’t do? So yes, there are some things it doesn’t do well. Powertex is a fabric hardener so it might not wash out of your clothes. Powertex will peel off plastic but there are ways around that for your project. Knowing that it doesn’t stick to plastic can be used to your advantage, by using plastic tools for example.
Getting started with Powertex
A good place to start is with some simple fabric wrapping around an object. I started with a jam jar and a wine bottle. Grab some cotton fabric, maybe an old cotton t-shirt and use Powertex to wrap, drape and sculpt the fabric. After a few hours it will be dry enough to paint or dry brush and after 3 weeks completely cured for outdoor use.
It’s easy to create really impressive results even as a beginner. If sculpture seems too much to start, have a practice on a small canvas first and see for yourself how easy it is to make beautiful textures.
Find out more
If you’d like to know more about how to use Powertex browse my blog or the Powertex UK blogs. I’m a Powertex addict, Powertex tutor and a member of the Powertex UK Design Team. I get my supplies from Powertex UK so head there to see more Powertex creations and get yourself a bottle of the good stuff!