What is Powertex?
Powertex products include a range of art and craft supplies but when people say “Powertex” they usually mean the liquid medium. Powertex Universal Medium is used in mixed media art and crafts of all kinds from art, paintings and sculpture to garden decor and jewellery. But what exactly is it? Here are 10 things about Powertex:
10 things about Powertex Universal Medium
- Powertex is a water-based medium
- It holds API certification identifying it as non-toxic and safe for children
- As a fabric hardener it can be used to sculpt and harden natural materials such as textiles, leather and cork
- It’s a weatherproof, hardwearing paint, great for mixed media art
- and is available in a range of 10 colours plus a Transparent product
- The Powertex colours are fully mixable
- It’s also a powerful adhesive for use with wood, metal and other natural materials
- Powertex Universal Medium is weatherproof after 3 weeks curing time (not the Transparent)
- Combined with Powertex Stone Art product it makes an air drying clay
- It will bind with dry mediums such as sand to create textured paint
Powertex and plastic
Is there anything it doesn’t do? Yes, there are some things it doesn’t do well. Powertex will peel off plastic but there are ways around that for your project. Knowing that it doesn’t adhere well to plastic can be used to your advantage, by using plastic tools for example. Powertex is a fabric hardener so it might not wash out of your clothes either!
Powertex for beginners
It’s easy to create really impressive results even as a Powertex beginner. Choose to make mixed media canvas art, fabric sculpture or give a new life to something old. Powertex also make a range of other mixed media art and craft supplies that are designed to work with Powertex Universal Medium. These include texture mediums, rust powder, powder pigments and weatherproof varnish.
Find out more
I also have an ebook available for instant download on Etsy. “Get Crafting with Powertex” is for beginners which tells you how to get started with your Powertex products at home. It includes what you need to know about Powertex Universal Medium, the unique properties of Powertex and how to apply it. It also has a list of project ideas and tips to try. Get your Powertex out and make something unique!
I’m a Powertex tutor in England and I get my supplies from Powertex UK. Head there to get yourself a bottle of the good stuff. If you’re not sure what to put in your basket read this shopping list blog for beginners.
I have a Powertex with Kore Facebook group where I’m sharing more tips, articles and project ideas. It’s a great place to ask your Powertex questions and get some tutor tips. Personally I love to use Instagram to share and find other creative people. You can see more of my Powertex art and crafts at @PowertexWithKore, I’d love to chat with you there!
Last updated: 9th May 2022