The safety in numbers series is ongoing. Seven paintings are complete, while one is still in progress.
10″ x 10″ square gallery canvases (Winsor and Newton)
Theme – Safety in Numbers, limited palette and supplies, to include signature elements of numbers and/or text, handwritten elements, stamping, collage and texture.
- Daler Rowney Acrylic Ink (FW) in Turquoise, Yellow Ochre and Purple Lake
- White gesso
- Daler Rowney acrylic Graduate paint in Payne’s Gray
- 3/4″ flat wash brushes and plastic palette knives
- collage materials with numbers, including 7gypsies tissue, number stickers, large number transfers, Tim Holtz rub ons
- small number stamps, number stencils, number dies to cut stencils and stamps
- Light molding paste (Golden)
- Acrylic Glazing Liquid in Satin (Golden)
- Matt Gel Medium (Golden)
Apply collage to chosen focus area of the canvas. Use gel medium to adhere collage. Apply texture paste and/or gesso to collage to obscure, flatten, create consistency or apply a gripped surface to very smooth areas.
Apply dominant colour, with or without glazing liquid. Choose second colour and apply to remaining areas.
Build layers using glazing liquid and create depth with variances of color and blends. Apply additional collage or details as required.
Check focal point, colour balance, composition, contrast of light and dark, movement around the canvas, use of symbols/theme and what message is communicated. At the end of each canvas check all elements and adjust as necessary.
Sign and number.
Varnish and prepare for hanging
Vary method and colour dominance in each piece, move focal point, use different compositional designs and different moods.